July 10, 2011

Beetle-Mania

Has it really come to this? Am I truly at war with the wretched flea beetle?

You may have read the earlier post in which I happily blogged about planting tomatillos and my raised expectations for this summer's salsas. That was then, when I was still blissfully ignorant of the amazingly destructive powers of one tiny insect, or, to be accurate, an onslaught of these tiny creatures.

All four tomatillo plants were growing well, but many of their leaves were displaying a pinhole effect, as if they were being repeatedly poked with a needle. So I took a few damaged leaves to the local nursery, where the nurseryman and I consulted his really big book of bugs. We found the source of the trouble right away--the flea beetle.

The bug book advised poisons as the remedy, which was a non-starter. Fully committed to organic methods, I picked up some marigolds to plant in the immediate tomatillo vicinity. I also grabbed a bag of live lady bugs to release into the yard that evening, in the hope that the trustworthy ladybug beetles would be willing to dine out on their smaller, opportunistic cousins. My third strategy was more reconnaissance. When were the flea beetles attacking and what did my enemy look like?

All of which explains why Dennis and I found ourselves in the yard on a recent Friday evening engaged in a search and destroy mission. Flea beetles are very tiny, about the same size as the fleas who live on household pets, and they jump just as fleas do, both of which make them nearly impossible to stop.

So, again, has it really come to this? Am I truly spending the waning daylight of my summer days hunting for tiny brown bugs, so I can smash them between my thumb and forefinger? But what's the alternative. Apply poisons? Being sort of organic is like being sort of pregnant. You can't have it both ways and turn to pesticides when the pest is an especially crafty one.

So Dennis and I fight on, picking off flea beetles one by one, motivated by visions of tortilla chips and green tomatillo salsa, served with a margarita, in the waning daylight of a summer day.




No comments:

Post a Comment